Thursday, May 08, 2014

INSPIRATION CAN BE FOUND ALL AROUND US

It's easy to get tunnel vision sometimes, especially when we get busy. But if we'll take a moment to pay attention, inspiration can often be found all around us. Here are a few things I've found noteworthy in the last couple of weeks. They're in no particular order; they just happened to catch my eye, and impressed me.

Last Saturday, a friend of mine named Roy won his first MMA fight in the 1st round by a technical knockout. This means the referee stopped the fight because the other guy wasn't intelligently defending himself anymore.

That's probably because Roy had taken him down and was hammering on him pretty good. I think what impressed me the most, was that a couple days earlier, Roy told me how he saw the fight going. It went exactly that way. Now that's working your plan!

I've now seen three different kids do a cartwheel-back handspring-back tuck combo, which is an amazing thing to behold. Perhaps the most impressive one, was the FaceBook video I saw of Karrington up in Chrisman on the gym floor, without mats! I know it's taken a ton of work for these kids to get that tumbling run down. Awesome!

A couple days ago, I was watching a friend roll our lawn. He owns this special machine that looks like those machines they use when they pave the highway. He sits up on it, and it's five times heavier than the biggest roller I could pull behind my mower!

After years of mole holes that were more like gopher holes, Marc had it looking like a golf course. He said he takes pride in keeping the lines straight, and doing a good job for people. Nice!

Ten years ago, Tim fell victim to a disease that attacks the myelin sheath around the nerves in his spine, making it hard for him to use his lower limbs. Recently, he had a long hospital stay in the hospital, sedated and on a respirator with double pneumonia and sepsis, a serious bacterial infection in the blood!

They gave him a 20% chance to live, and said if he hadn't been as strong as he was, he wouldn't have made it. Now he's back in the gym, trying to get back to where he was. A few days ago he said, "I have to do it, I've got to do it. It's more important to me than most people." I think he may be right.

Something else that always impresses, is our short list of Biggest Losers this week. Brian Bradley was first, losing 5.4 lbs and 2.1% of his body weight. Jan Poynter placed second, losing 3.6 lbs and 2.0%. Bailey Bradley finished third, losing 2.2 lbs and 1.6%. Kit Kirby and Christy Henry tied for fourth place, losing 3.6 and 3.2 lbs respectively, and 1.5%.

No comments: