Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I CAN'T BECAUSE...

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people say something like: “I know I really need to get up there and get started on an exercise program, but I just can’t because…” (enter excuses here). So here are the top 10 reasons NOT to go to the gym. I’m serious! These are all things I’ve heard. Drum roll please.

10. I need to get in shape before I come up there so I won’t look out of place.

9. I need to get in shape first, so it won’t be so tough when I start exercising.

8. I can’t come up there, because people will see me, and I’m shy.

7. Too many people will be looking at me.

6. Until I get past this ____ (various illnesses and ailments), I just can’t do it.

5. I just don’t ever get any results.

4. I just can’t find the motivation.

3. Every time I start an exercise program, I just end up stopping anyway.

2. I just work too many hours.

1. I just don’t have the time.

Remember, all of those are actual excuses I’ve heard. Now I’m not trying to belittle people who have very real situations that come up from time to time that just make it impossible. I’m talking about those times when the excuses don’t really hold water.

Recently, I was talking with an interesting couple who are both in their seventies. She’s long since retired but he’s still running a successful business. Because I see them both at the gym regularly, I was wondering what made them different from other couples their age, so I decided to ask them.

She told me that in her case, others in her family were pretty active, so she’s always tried to stay in shape. She said her husband realized the other guys his age were dying and he was the only one left!

When I talked to him, he said he was blessed with good health and wanted to keep what he had. He told me “you’ve just got to make yourself do it” and went on to say “as soon as you stop doing it, you’re done.” I think he’s right.

I’ve talked to many people who were inactive, got overweight, developed high blood pressure and diabetes and then had to start taking medicines for those conditions. This resulted in them gaining even more weight, and now they have serious knee and back problems that pretty much keep them from moving at all. In their case, they literally can’t do it.

It’s much better to get started now, before it’s too late and those excuses become real. If you’re already doing it, you better not quit. I have more to say about this, but I can’t, because… I’m out of time!

Feel free to contact me through Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/tomdolanfitness if you have any questions or comments.

No comments: